Types of braces at TP Dental:
There are many different types of braces that are available at TP Dental ranging from removable braces (commonly known as ‘retainers’), expanders, fixed metal braces, fixed clear braces and “invisible” Invisalign braces. To find out more about each brace, please scroll down the page.
Who provides braces at TP Dental?
All orthodontic treatment at TP Dental is carried out by SPECIALISTS in Orthodontics. There are many general dentists who carry out braces treatment in Singapore. However, in our dental surgery, orthodontic treatment is ONLY provided by fully qualified orthodontists who are listed on the Ministry of Health (MOH) Dental Specialist list.
For children or growing adolescence
Removable braces (commonly known as “retainers”)
These are braces that can be removed by the patient him or herself. Majority of removable braces are used for growing children but some are suitable for adults too. Removable braces are used to correct many orthodontic problems including crossbite, expansions and deep bites (to name a few).
Growth or functional braces
These are braces that are used during the adolescent stages to encourage growth of the jaw bone to a more favourable position. Examples of these are:
- To correct protruding teeth (“bugs bunny” teeth)
- To improve a smaller jaw
- Correct reverse bite (protruding lower jaw)
- Correct asymmetric (“lopsided”) jaw
This type of growth modification treatment can start as early as four years old and as late as 13-14 years old depending on the patient’s growth status. Your orthodontist will decide on a case to case basis to advise you on the best time to start such braces for your child.
These are braces that are fixed onto the molar teeth to encourage expansion of the upper jaw. A fixed expander is great for making spaces in crowded mouths and also for correction of crossbites.
If you have a child who has a thumb-sucking habit and is finding it difficult to stop, please speak to one of our orthodontists. We have a range of devices that may be used to encourage children to stop this habit. Prolonged thumb-sucking habits may cause:
- Protrusion of teeth (teeth to “stick out”)
- Development of a crossbite (one side or both sides)
- Cause teeth to develop in the wrong position
These are what majority of people call ‘train-track’ braces. These braces are fixed onto the teeth and can be metal braces or ceramic (aesthetic) braces. Metal braces can be silver (metal) coloured or patients can opt to have them in a variety of other colours ranging from primary colours (blue, green, red) to rainbow colours. Ceramic (aesthetic) braces are tooth-coloured braces that can be paired with tooth-coloured wires to make it less visible.
Fixed Metal Braces
Fixed Metal “coloured” braces
Fixed ceramic braces
Yes, you read it correctly. Invisalign treatment can be used for teenage patients and we offer ‘Invisalign Teens’ for our growing patients. Of course these will be dependent on the child’s compliance and motivation to wear the aligners all the time except during eating and brushing their teeth.
We offer our adult patients a choice of fixed metal braces, ceramic (aesthetic) braces or Invisalign braces depending on their lifestyle choice.
Fixed metal braces
The advantages of fixed metal braces are:
- Fixed onto the teeth therefore not dependant on patient’s compliance
- Patient does not need to remove it for eating
- Pressure on teeth is applied all the time (24hours/day)
Fixed Metal Braces
Fixed ceramic (aesthetic) braces
The advantages of fixed ceramic braces are:
- Better aesthetics (as they are almost tooth-coloured)
- No difference in functionality as compared to metal braces
- No difference in duration of treatment, result and degree of discomfort as compared to metal braces
Fixed ceramic braces
InvisalignThe advantages of Invisalign braces are:
- The most aesthetically pleasing
- Easier to keep clean as these aligners are removable by the patient
- Less discomfort – no wire poking